This position is responsible for maintaining the financial records of the church.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains financial transactions of the church including verification, allocation and posting detailed business transactions to general ledger accounts. Performs recordkeeping to provide backup documentation and keep audit trails of these transactions.
- Reconciles and balances general ledger accounts.
- Oversees recording of weekly contributions (including electronic giving) and provides quarterly and annual Contribution statements.
- Prepares required material for the annual audit.
- Compiles financial reports using the financial system Quicken and MS Excel. Prepares monthly reports for the finance committee and the council.
- Submits bi-weekly payroll data for all staff to a professional payroll service and posts payroll to the general ledger using data and reports provided by the payroll service.
- Records cash receipts and maintains accounts receivables. Prepares bank deposits to appropriate accounts. Performs monthly bank account reconciliation.
- Prepares checks for payment of invoices and maintains accounts payables. Keeps records and audit trails of invoices paid.
- Participates in annual budget preparation by producing worksheets and entering budgets into the financial system.
- Prepares reports used in account analysis by staff and the Treasurer.
- Recommends changes to the chart of accounts.
- Handles Staff and church insurance accounts.
- Provides contract recordkeeping.
- Keeps weekly worship attendance records and reports monthly to the staff and church council.
- Attends finance committee meetings. Provides advice and recommendations to the committee. Prepares financial statements for the committee and produces analytical reports requested by the committee.
- General ledger posting and coding, including AR, AP, cash receipts and Maintains cash controls and balances general ledger accounts and reconciles bank accounts.
- Maximizes use of computerized systems in maintaining general ledger accounts. Maintains proficiency with software tools such as Quicken and MS Office.
- Reviews biweekly payroll reports received from a payroll service, reviews for accuracy, posts payroll to the general ledger, maintains the payroll file and distributes pay stubs. Reviews all quarterly and annual tax filings for accuracy and maintains payroll file information. Ensures that all regulatory guidelines are followed and all tax filing and tax deposit deadlines are met. Maintains a file of employee forms W-4, keeps payroll records secure and ensures that confidentiality of payroll information is kept.
- High School Diploma
- Background in accounting
- Ability to work well in an office with a diverse staff
- Maintain confidentiality
- Efficient in multi-tasking and prioritizing responsibilities
- Customer service skills
- General office skills
- High level of proficiency in Quicken and MS Office products.
- Experience with financial and payroll software.
- Follows the financial policies of the church, as well as generally accepted accounting principals (GAAP).
- Understanding of finance and budgeting
- Attention to detail, accuracy and numeric skills
- Self directed and well organized
- Ability to analyze and resolve problems using a variety of analytical techniques, particularly advanced function of Quicken and MS Excel and a financial reporting system.
This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Pastor John Holm at firstname.lastname@example.org