Job Description: Youth Director
POSITION: Paid part-time Director of Youth Ministry for the Port Washington/Saukville Ecumenical Youth Ministry. Flexible hours to be negotiated with Board of Directors with an average of 10- 15 hours per week. Report weekly hours to the Board.
Overview / Summary: The Port Washington/Saukville Ecumenical Youth Ministry is a shared ministry of five congregations from three denominations in two communities. Our churches joined together in 2018 to establish an independent non-profit because we saw the need for a vibrant Christian group which welcomes youth grades 6-12 of all faith backgrounds. Together, we seek to create a welcoming and safe community where youth can grow in their relationships with God and with each other.
The Youth Director will work closely with pastors, volunteers, and board members from multiple congregations to build relationships, lead events, and implement ministry programming which support the organization’s purpose and mission.
General Expectations, Talents, Skills, & Qualifications
The ideal candidate will be:
- A baptized Christian and active member of a congregation in partnership with either the United Methodist Church, United Church of Christ, or Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
- Capable of modeling Christian discipleship through words and actions
- Passionate about the faith and spiritual lives of youth
- Energetic, Engaging, and Creative
- Comfortable building relationships with youth and adults, including parents, volunteers, and other faith leaders
- Welcoming of persons from a variety of backgrounds, traditions, and identities
- Able to clearly communicate the Organization’s mission and vision
- Regularly present in the community
- Seeking opportunities to interact with members of multiple congregations
- Organized, responsible, dependable, honest, mature, and accessible
- Willing to comply with child safety policies at all times (including regular background screening and training)
- Able to participate in training events and professional development opportunities as available
- Maintaining safe boundaries within professional relationships
- Proficient in Microsoft office and professional on social media platforms
- Experienced in working with teens 6th grade and older
- At least 25 years old with a high school degree. Some college preferred in a field related to ministry, counseling, teaching, or experience in camp, youth programs, recreation, working with children, or a related field.
The Director of Youth Ministry will work closely with the board of directors to determine events, goals, and specific responsibilities. Based on an agreed calendar of events and work schedule, the Director is responsible to:
- Be a spiritual guide and role model for youth and families throughout our community.
- Plan, publicize, organize, and execute regular events for 6th – 12th grade youth which may include (but is not limited to) weekly gatherings, worship opportunities, service projects, retreats/camp/trips, and fundraisers.
- Work with congregations to support special events for families with children (including but not limited to: Trunk or Treat, Christmas Program, Easter Egg Hunt, and Vacation Bible School).
- Communicate regularly and professionally with individuals and congregations in person, in writing, and electronically.
- Develop, organize, and implement a ministry which deepens, grows, and enhances the faith of youth through relevant, experiential, authentic, and life-giving experiences.
- Intentionally develop professional and life-giving relationships with youth, volunteers, and parents.
- Recruit and train adult volunteers. Ensure all volunteers follow child safety policies.
- Ensure that essential documents are in place, updated, and distributed in a timely fashion (included but not limited to: youth directory, calendars, registration forms, copyright licensing, budgets, etc.)
- Offer timely, creative solutions to concerns raised about the youth ministry.
Please send resume to Ray Shupe at firstname.lastname@example.org by September 13.