East Central Synod of Wisconsin
The Communications Manager is responsible for helping “Tell the Story of the East Central Synod of Wisconsin” by providing leadership, imagination and oversight for the communications of the synod in its mission of connecting, supporting and resourcing congregations and leaders as they live out God’s mission in the world. The Communications Manager has primary responsibility for all communications of the Synod, including but not limited to online, social media, print and press relations. This is a full-time position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Develop and maintain effective strategy for electronic and print communications for the East Central Synod of Wisconsin
Oversee all aspects of communications, including but not limited to composition, design, editing, production, distribution, support infrastructure, technology and budget
Work closely with other members of the Synod staff to ensure unity and consistency across messaging and branding
Assist the bishop in shaping the Church’s witness, including response to public crises
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent; three years’ experience in communications or related field or specialized education in the field; mastery of Microsoft Office, Adobe and other relevant print and electronic communications software and digital and web-based communications; familiarity with culture, mission and communications efforts of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
This is a full-time position with benefits, including health insurance, retirement, and more. Compensation commensurate with experience.
Submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Interviews will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
Summary of Responsibilities
The Communications Manager is responsible for helping “Tell the Story of the East Central Synod of Wisconsin” by providing leadership, imagination and oversight for communications of the synod in its mission of connecting, supporting and resourcing congregations and leaders as they live out God’s mission in the world. The Communications Manager has primary responsibility for all communications of the Synod, including but not limited to online, social media, print and press relations. This is a full-time position.
- Identification, generation and coordination of resources for communicating the mission and ministries of the East Central Synod of Wisconsin (ECSW) to individuals, congregations and organizations
- Oversight of financial, technological and human resources dedicated to communications
- Develop, implement, and evaluate an annual communications plan for the ECSW
- Equipping congregations and leaders within the synod in communication strategies
- Assisting the bishop in shaping the Church’s witness, including response to public crises
- Coordinating efforts for promoting events and efforts of the Synod
- Responsibility for sustaining communications infrastructure (technology, licensing, contracts, budget, etc.)
- Working closely and cooperatively with synod staff and other leaders in communications
- Work with synod staff in development of EPIC Hub (Equipping People in Congregations), its online resource library and educational programming
- Equipping synod staff in use of communications software and platforms as needed
- Maintenance of synod database
- Awareness and use of ELCA press releases, video messages and marketing resources
- Manage the development, distribution and maintenance of all print and electronic communications including but not limited to website, social media, newsletters, brochures, etc.
- Attending Synod Staff and Synod Council meetings and annual Synod Assembly
Fulfilling other duties as assigned by the Bishop
Expectations and Requirements
- Faith in Jesus Christ
- Familiarity with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
- Maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information
- Commitment to work collegially and collaboratively
Satisfactory outcome of background check
Effective spoken, print and electronic communication skills
Strong interpersonal skills
Effective organizational and administrative skills
Personal initiative and ability to function responsibly with minimal supervision
Strong leadership and management skills
Thorough and current knowledge of communications media, including print, digital, web-based, social media, etc.
About the East Central Synod of Wisconsin: one of the 65 geographic synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), the East Central Synod of Wisconsin is 70,000 members in roughly 123 congregations who gather weekly for worship and renewal, and return to their communities to live out their faith in service to others. The Synod collaborates with other ministry partners without regard for creed, race or socioeconomic status, and through the ELCA supports global efforts to respond to disasters, fight hunger and poverty and promote peace, reconciliation and witness to the Good News of Jesus Christ. Learn more at www.ecsw.org