Title: Minister of Music
Closing Date: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled
Reports to: Lead Pastor
Also Works With: Associate Pastor and Worship Staff
Start Date: Immediately (Negotiable)
Based upon experience
Benefits and pension plan with ELCA
4 weeks annual vacation
2 weeks Continuing Education leave with allowance
The Minister of Music leads FPLC’s music ministries; oversees all music for parish worship and events; serves as primary organist and choirmaster.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Practicing Christian who demonstrates a clear sense of calling to ministry
through music and serves as a spiritual leader to those who work under his/her
- Track record of carefully blending music and liturgy together to enhance the
overall worship experience.
- Minimum five years experience in congregational music leadership of
professional singers and volunteer choirs, with a wide range of choral repertoire.
- Bachelor’s degree in music. Advanced degree preferred in sacred music, organ
performance, and/or conducting, or equivalent experience.
- Excellent supervisory, communication, and organizational skills.
- Strong team member orientation. Work collegially with staff, church members
and volunteers in a cooperative and creative manner; foster a positive work
environment by demonstrating respect for other team members.
- High proficiency in organ performance, sight-reading, improvisation, and
conducting from the console. Desirable to have skills in piano performance,
composition and/or arrangement.
- Supervise choir, including conducting, educating, mentoring and recruiting.
- Direct FPLC’s Adult Choir. During the academic year, the choir rehearses
weekly in the evening on Thursday and sings on Sunday. Additional special
services may be scheduled. Rehearsal and performance schedules subject to
- Grow the Adult choir through recruitment, programming and active mentoring
of both volunteer and section leaders.
- Educate the choir about the liturgical and musical significance of the music
including music theory and historical context; improve the musicality of the
choir through the use of challenging repertoire
- Be first point of contact for pastoral care of choir members and their families,
and inform clergy of crucial concerns.
- Conduct choir for special services beyond Sunday morning, as needed.
Play organ during the church’s liturgies and special events:
- Play for Sunday worship services throughout the year and special events/
- Play for occasional weddings and memorial services, for which there is
- Perform periodic organ recitals, if desired.
Take an active role in liturgical planning:
- Work with pastor and staff to plan services appropriate to the lectionary and the
season of the church year.
- Consult with pastor on hymn selections and other music for Sunday services.
- Actively nurture the congregational participation in music worship during
Sunday and special services.
- Be intentional about teaching new hymns and service music to the
- Develop music programming that actively involves children and youth including
confirmation classes and high school youth group.
- Assist the pastor and staff in creative design of new services and liturgies.
- Demonstrate appreciation for the Lutheran worship tradition.
Be visible in the larger life of the congregation and the wider community:
- Build relationships with congregation, volunteers, choir members, parents,
and section leaders.
- Facilitate the education of the congregation in music by means of writing in
parish communications, including website and social media.
- Be active in local American Guild of Organists (AGO) chapter.
- Actively recruit volunteers to expand music worship and programs at FPLC.
Oversee administrative aspects of the music program:
- Oversee all music program staff and volunteers.
- Be responsible for recruiting and vetting all outside music groups.
- Coordinate maintenance and repairs of the church’s musical instruments
(pipe organ, pianos, and handbells) and supporting technology.
- Oversee church music library.
Oversee financial aspects of the church’s music program:
- Develop and propose budget with Senior Pastor.
- Authorize expenditures for music ministry purchases.
- Approve and submit payroll for section leaders.
- Serve as staff coordinator for any music fundraising activities.
The Minister of Music also will be required to carry out such other duties, tasks and responsibilities as may be assigned.
Organ (Also includes a MIDI module with an extra rank)
Builder: Casavant Frères Ltée (Opus 3306, 1976)
Action: Mechanical action (suspended), electric stop action.
–Information from the Jaeckel Organs website
Last Update: 8/2013
GREAT ORGAN 56 keys
8 Prinsipal 51 (1-5 from Hohlflöte
8 Hohlflöte 56
4 Oktave 56
2 Waldflöte 56
IV Mixture 224
SWELL ORGAN 56 keys
8 Gedackt 56
8 Gemshorn 56
8 Schwebung tc 44
4 Spitzflöte 56
2 Prinzipal 56
8 Trompete 56
PEDAL ORGAN 30 keys
16 Subbass 32
8 Prinzipal 32
4 Oktave 32
16 Fagott 32 (cylindrical)