Ascension Lutheran Church in Milwaukee is in search of a part-time Office Manager. The Office Manager offers a welcoming and helpful ‘first impression’ to Ascension’s callers and guests and completes a variety of administrative tasks that contribute to the mission and smooth functioning of a busy, multi-cultural congregation.
The job description is below. Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to Pastor Lynn Erickson at email@example.com
Ascension Lutheran Church
Job Description: Office Manager
Effective Date: March 2019
Reports to: Pastor
Directly Supervises: Office Volunteers
Employment Status: Part-time
Compensation: $15-$18/hour depending on skills and experience.
The Office Manager offers a welcoming and helpful ‘first impression’ to Ascension’s callers and guests and completes a variety of administrative tasks that contribute to the mission and smooth functioning of a busy, multi-cultural congregation.
• Creates a welcoming and helpful tone for the church office in person, in written communication and by phone
• Answers phones and responds to requests
• Equips office volunteers to assist with the day-to-day work of the church
• Communicates effectively in written, verbal and electronic communication through worship bulletins, PowerPoint presentations, weekly e-news and promotional items (posters, brochures)
• Maintains the church calendar, congregational database, Facebook page and website
• Assists with or arranges for translation of materials (English to Spanish, Spanish to English, Hmong to English, English to Hmong)
• Coordinates the timely processing of income, expenditures and payroll with accountant
• Designs and maintains appropriate filing systems and completes required reports for the congregation and the larger church
• Inventories office supplies and consumables and orders as needed
• Problem solves issues with phone system, computers, internet, copier and building keys
• Participates in all staff meetings and building partner meetings
• Education: High School with some college preferred
• Demonstrated computer skills using Microsoft Office Suite including Microsoft Publisher, Church Windows software and WordPress
• At least 3 years work experience in a similar position
• Proficient in English and Spanish or Hmong, both speaking and writing
• Able to climb stairs, walk short distances and comfortably lift 20 pounds
• Able to communicate verbally
Mission Ownership: Demonstrates understanding and full support of the mission, vision, values and beliefs of Ascension Lutheran Church.
Interpersonal Skills: works well with people at all levels of the congregation; builds appropriate rapport; is welcoming and approachable; is able and willing to supply answers and resources that others need.
Process Management: Good at figuring out the processes necessary to get things done; knows how to organize people and activities; understands how to separate and combine tasks into efficient work flow; can simplify complex processes and create policy for repetitive processes.
Integrity and trust: Is seen as trustworthy by others; practices direct, honest and transparent communication; keeps confidences.
Technical Expertise: Acquires and demonstrates the technical skills required to execute the essential functions of the job; understands which skills are lacking and seeks to develop those skills.
Verbal and written communication: Is able to deliver a message clearly and appropriately to the situation at hand; writes clearly and succinctly, employing correct grammar, punctuation and patterns of speech.
Volunteer Management: Provides direction, gains commitment, facilitates change and achieves results through the efficient, creative and responsible deployment of volunteers; engages people in their areas of giftedness and passion.