The Mt. Meru Coffee Project, Inc. is seeking a Treasurer:
The Mt. Meru Coffee Project, Inc. (MMCP) is an affiliated entity of the Greater Milwaukee
Synod, ELCA and one of the ministries supporting the Synod’s Companion Synod relationship
with the Diocese of Meru, ELCT, Tanzania.
Started in late 1998 and incorporated in 2003, MMCP’s mission is to:
• to promote economic and social justice in the Arumeru District (around Mt. Meru) of
Tanzania by purchasing coffee from subsistence farmers at a fair (or premium) price
to increase farmer incomes and provide incentive to improve coffee quality and
• strengthen the partnership between the Greater Milwaukee Synod and its
congregations with the Diocese of Meru and its parishes.
• A passion for global ministries with an emphasis on economic development in
Tanzania and “fair trade,”
• a willingness to commit five to ten hours a week on the accounting and
administrative functions of MMCP,
• a willingness to work with other Board members and attend monthly MMCP Board
meetings presenting the latest financial results and contributing to operational
• a degree in accounting with experience focused on retail sales, and
• a comprehensive working knowledge of Quickbooks,
• comfortable working remotely using MMCP’s server applications.
Duties include (not all inclusive):
• General Ledger maintenance including sales item maintenance,
• Banking relationship(s) including administering and renewing a ‘Line of Credit” and
monthly account reconciliations,
• Check processing, including electronic fund transfers and international wire
• Credit card maintenance, processing and payments,
• Accounts Payable processing and payments,
• Inventory recording and maintenance including an annual physical count,
• Budgeting and Cash Flow forecasting,
• Insurance payments and reporting,
• prepare pricing and margin analysis, and
• other financial functions as needed to support the ministry.
To volunteer and apply, please send resume and qualifications to:
Walt Chossek, Interim President and Treasurer at: