The Communications Specialist will create and implement a strategy to ensure timely, effective, and informative communication between the Greater Milwaukee Synod, Outreach for Hope, ministry partners and other target audiences within and beyond the Greater Milwaukee Synod.
This position reports directly to the Executive Assistant for Administration and Candidacy and is 40 hours per week to be accomplished in the Greater Milwaukee Synod/Outreach for Hope office during our regular working hours (Monday – Thursday 8 am to 4:30 pm. Friday work hours may be accomplished remotely). Occasional nights and weekends required.
The Communications Specialist is responsible for helping tell the story of the Greater Milwaukee Synod and Outreach for Hope by providing leadership, imagination and oversight for the communications of these organizations in their mission of connecting, supporting and resourcing congregations and leaders as they live out God’s mission in the world. The Communications Specialist has primary responsibility for all communications of the Greater Milwaukee Synod and Outreach for Hope, including but not limited to online, social media, print and press relations. This is a full-time position shared 50/50 between the Greater Milwaukee Synod and Outreach for Hope.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain effective strategy for electronic, print, and video communications for the Greater Milwaukee Synod and Outreach for Hope.
- Oversee all aspects of communications, including but not limited to composition, design, writing, editing, production, and distribution.
- Lead efforts in locating and elevating mission stories from across the synod, church, and communities, and develop ways to creatively communicate those stories.
- Work closely with members of the Greater Milwaukee Synod staff including the Outreach for Hope Executive Director to ensure unity and consistency across messaging and branding.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent; three years of experience in communications or related field or specialized education in the field
- Record of achievement in institutional messaging, publishing electronic and print newsletters, media relations, and publicity
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Mastery of Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Commons (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator), other relevant print and electronic communications software, and digital and web-based communications
- Experience desired with:
- Writing for features, press releases, e-news, web and social media
- Developing and implementing communications plans and strategies and editorial calendars
- Oversight of and/or implementing design and rollout of medium sized websites, and day-to-day management of sites
- Conceiving and executing video projects, including interviewing, writing, and editing
- Collaborative, team player who can inspire Greater Milwaukee Synod and Outreach For Hope colleagues to do excellent work
- Able to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced and multi-faceted environment
- Self-directed, able to meet objectives with minimal supervision
- Familiarity with culture, mission and communications efforts of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
This is a full-time position with benefits, including health insurance, retirement, and more. Compensation commensurate with experience.
Submit resume, cover letter and examples of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org
November 15, 2019
The Greater Milwaukee Synod (GMS) is a geographic grouping of congregations, extending from Sheboygan down to the Illinois border and from Lake Michigan to the western edge of Waukesha County. We are one of 65 synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). This synod is made up of 121 congregations and 71,000 baptized members in southeastern Wisconsin led by Bishop Paul D. Erickson and a 17-member synod council.
The Greater Milwaukee Synod (bishop, staff, pastors, deacons, leaders, congregations, ministries) embrace the following statements that express our common commitment to living into God’s vision for our world.
God’s Vision: A world that embodies the fullness of life: justice, peace, equity, hope and love for everyone, including all races, genders, identities, abilities, and social status.
Our Mission: We follow Jesus, form communities, love all.
Outreach for Hope supports life-giving ministries that serve with the people of low income communities in the Greater Milwaukee Synod, ELCA. These ministries not only provide help with daily necessities, but most importantly, they are centers in the heart of their communities for providing transformation and hope. Outreach for Hope seeks donations primarily from generous individuals. It also receives gifts from organizations and from special offerings of congregations.
Learn more at outreachforhope.org