Job Type: Part-Time (.5 FTE)
Reports to: Director of Youth Ministry & Media
Church: UNITY Lutheran Church (2 campuses in Brookfield, WI)
Size: 2,500 baptized members; 500 average weekly attendance; 18 employees (4 full-time & 14 part-time)
UNITY Lutheran Church is an ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America) congregation consisting of two physical Brookfield campuses, Cross of Life and Christ the King, and an emerging third virtual campus. The pandemic has changed the way we do things, from worship to education to serving, and we are looking to add a Communications and Media Specialist who will work in partnership with the Pastors, church staff, Communications & Technology team, and Worship & Music team to create and implement multi-media and communication offerings to support all our areas of ministry.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
1. Create and distribute media and communications supporting all ministry areas.
2. Develop and sustainably produce multimedia, including pre-recorded worship targeted at an online audience and audio/podcasts.
3. Plan, produce, and distribute content for in-person & online worship services to effectively connect with members inside and outside physical campuses.
4. Train staff members and volunteers to use the multimedia in a cohesive and beneficial way. Recruit and build a renewable base of support volunteers, to include youth/high schoolers.
5. Maintain audio and video production systems at two campuses. Provide recommendations for new equipment/upgrades and complete/facilitate installations.
6. Participate as a member of the Communications & Technology and Worship & Music teams.
7. Leverage technology/social media to identify ways to connect with our servant partners, college students and other people who are interested in our message regardless of where they live.
Long Term Plan
8. Develop and sustainably produce multimedia, including streaming of live services, website management, social media and other emerging media platforms.
9. Serve as the primary writer, curator, and editor for all social media platforms and ensure they remain current, relevant, and effective in building meaningful connections that support the church community. Platforms include: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Vimeo, YouTube, etc.
10. Specify and develop a budget for needed equipment, software, licenses, subscriptions etc.
11. Present technology plan and requested budget to Communications & Technology team.
12. Remain current with changes in technology and social/multimedia platforms to ensure highest delivery and effectiveness.
13. Form/Join a “community” of individuals in similar positions in other churches to share experiences, best practices, etc.
1. Successful candidate must have a portfolio of demonstrated experience, particularly with video production (storyboard, videography, editing)
2. Marketing and social media experience with the ability to engage/connect people
3. Technical IT (in Mac OS environment) and media skills
4. Ability to work Sundays and selected major religious holidays
1. Ability to work in collaboration with all ministries in a Christian environment
2. Works with other staff members to maximize synergy across all program areas, especially Communications & Technology
3. Experience with IP networking is a plus
4. Embraces a broad array of existing and emerging technology and social media platforms
5. Influencing skills: Able to lead in situations where there are no clear reporting lines
6. Exhibits good judgment, honesty, integrity, responsibility, and people skills
7. Brings a fun, positive and energetic “can do” attitude and a willingness to be flexible
8. Adopts and lives out UNITY’s mission of celebrate, share, and renew
9. Spiritual leadership: Develops and motivates servants for Christ, meets people where they’re at and walks with them toward their best selves. Able to keep our collective focus on learning about Jesus and serving among the least of our brothers and sisters
10. Mission ownership: Supports and conveys the values, vision and beliefs of a serving- and learning-focused congregation to others. Connects serving and learning to overall spiritual health of our members
This position is eligible for paid time off, designated holidays and paid time off for continuing education.
UNITY may not be like other churches you’re familiar with. At UNITY we know there’s a lot of bad news in people’s lives. Churches have often compounded it with attitudes that feed on guilt, shame or exclusion. We don’t go there. We work hard to meet people where they are. At our core, UNITY tries to live up to our name, something that our communities and culture seem to lack. Forces seem to be driving people into silos of sameness. We feel it’s on us to model how life-giving it can be when individuals of different generations, political beliefs, and origins worship, learn, and serve as one. Our vision is “United in Christ, Together in Ministry,” and our priorities are:
• Bringing the bible alive and sharing support for those who join us in worship
• Serving our local community and communities well beyond our borders, through a variety of ministries
• Providing learning and connection opportunities for youth and adults of all ages
At UNITY you’ll work with a talented staff who lead our congregation today. The experience, energy, and passion demonstrated by this team ensures our vision is routinely demonstrated. We are fortunate to have committed members who regularly participate in worship as well as the partnership and educational opportunities available through our ministry. Our suburban congregation is partnered with several congregations and ministries in the cities of Milwaukee and Waukesha as well as the country of El Salvador. This ensures that our mission meets not only the needs of our neighborhood, but also encounters the diversity, blessings and challenges of our broader world as well. Humble (hopefully!), committed partnership alongside all sorts of communities marks UNITY and is a part of our identity that we can never expand far enough.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates are invited to apply by sending a resume, cover letter, and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org.