Job Announcement for Adult Faith Formation Director
at Mt Zion Lutheran Church, 12012 W North Ave, Wauwatosa, WI
Seeking a part-time director for our Adult Faith Formation ministries. This person would be responsible, with the aid of the pastor, for providing faith formation opportunities for adults and growing the adult participation in faith formation. Faith formation at Mt Zion has a particular focus on helping us form disciples that have the tools to do ministry in their daily lives.
Full job description attached. Direct resumes and questions to Rev. Tyler Rasmussen at email@example.com.
~The Rev. Tyler Rasmussen
Pastor @ Mt Zion Lutheran Church, ELCA
12012 W North Ave, Wauwatosa, WI 53226-2040
mtzionlutheran.org • #mtztosa
ADULT FAITH FORMATION DIRECTOR
- Job Type: Part-time
- Hours: 2 to 10 per week, depending on time of the year (average of 6 hr)
- Compensation: $17/hr
- Start Date: July/August 2021
- Creativity and Openness to New Ideas
- Program Development
- Leadership and Team Building
- Basic Technology Skills (include video conferencing)
- Highly Desirable: a degree or experience in theology (especially Lutheran), education, and/or human services
FULL JOB DESCRIPTION
Mt Zion Lutheran Church is a congregation that joyfully grows disciples in Christ. For us, discipleship has an outward focus, built on a vision that everyone we meet will come to know themselves as a reflection of God’s image, worthy of life and love. We are seeking an adult faith formation director to help the adults of our congregation grow in the marks of discipleship so that, centered in faith, they become a joyful community that actively welcomes our neighbors and seeks justice for those in need.
The individual we seek is someone skilled at teaching adults of all ages, from young adults to seniors, and all household configurations how to live out their faith, as well as recruiting and training others to be faith formation leaders. This person will help increase the participation of adults in faith formation and practicing their faith in daily life. The position will require availability most Sunday mornings during our faith formation hour at 9:40 a.m., as well as flexibility in leading other faith formation opportunities throughout the week.
This position would evolve over time as the program is built up. Initially, a lot more time would be spent by the candidate leading faith formation. As volunteer faith formation leaders are recruited and trained, the role would shift to more oversight and providing resources and guidance. The individual we seek is not someone who simply teaches Bible studies, but who can work with a wholistic approach to faith formation.
- Work closely with the Pastor to develop a faith formation strategy seeking to build a program that increases adult participation and meets measurable outcome goals
- Plan the calendar of faith formation topics and activities
- Produce or provide curriculum or lesson plans for faith formation activities
- Organize and lead faith formation meetings
- Recruit and train volunteers to become faith formation leaders
- Attend staff meetings once-a-month
- Support the ministry teams in their faith formation priorities, such as anti-racism or inclusion work, faithful financial practices, engagement in justice work in line with the ELCA social statements and messages, and participation in other ministries connected to our congregation
- Work with child and youth faith formation leaders to develop cross-generational activities
INCLUSIVENESS IN EMPLOYMENT
Mt Zion Lutheran Church is committed to both the spirit and applicable legal requirements of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action. Consistent with this commitment, it is the policy of this church to engage employees without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, or sexual orientation (or any other type of discrimination prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws). Because we are a church body, religion may be considered, but only to the extent that it is pertinent to the position.