Mt Zion Lutheran Church, Wauwatosa, WI
- Job Type: Part-time
- Compensation: Salaried, negotiated based on education and experience
- Start Date: As Soon As Possible
- Experience playing organ as well as piano.
- Experience accompanying traditional liturgical worship services.
- Ability to play contemporary hymns and global music as needed.
- Experience accompanying choirs and other musicians.
- Good organizational, communication, and collaboration skills.
- A heart for ministry with a compassionate demeanor and a love of music.
- A degree in music is preferred but not required.
Full Job Description
Mt Zion Lutheran Church is a congregation that is Joyfully Growing Disciples in Christ. As a community, we come together regularly and celebrate. We also respond gracefully to grief and harm. Music is a powerful element of our celebrations, bringing out joy to its fullest and helping us when we are journeying through grief and harm. We are seeking a musician who is skilled in both organ and piano that will help bring richness to our worship as we celebrate the resurrection and God’s grace.
Much of the music for our traditional worship service will be traditional Lutheran hymnody and liturgy. Yet our congregation needs an organist who can lead music that is inclusive of all present, being mindful of serving all ages, uplifting the many demographics in our congregation, and celebrating the contributions from other parts of the Christian world. This may include, among other things, bringing in Christian music from other cultures, providing music that children are able to participate in (whether vocally or through other means), and occasionally including a contemporary Christian song that speaks to the teens and younger adults of the congregation.
The organist will be a person who brings joy to the congregation through music in worship as well as bringing passion and inspiration to the congregation.
- Schedule and provide instrumental and congregational music for Sunday traditional worship services and other special services, coordinating with the Pastor as needed.
- Accompany the main vocal choir rehearsals, as well as other ensembles as needed.
- Work with the Director of Choirs to provide occasional special music, both by recruiting musicians from within the congregation and acquiring outside contracts.
- Coordinate with other worship staff for budget expenditures.
- Work with the Director of Choirs to maintain an inventory of church-owned music.
- Coordinate the maintenance of the organ and pianos.
- Attend staff meetings when possible.
- Complete reports of music to copyright licensing agencies as required.
- Arrange for substitutes when unavailable.
- Play for weddings and funerals, as available (being the primary choice for all weddings and funerals and being permitted to receive additional compensation from the parties involved), and maintain a list of preferred alternates for when unavailable.
Inclusiveness in Employment
Mt Zion Lutheran Church is committed to both the spirit and applicable legal requirements of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action. Consistent with this commitment, it is the policy of this church to engage employees without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, or sexual orientation (or any other type of discrimination prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws). Because we are a church body, religion may be considered, but only to the extent that it is pertinent to the position.
However, due to the inaccessible location of the organ console in the balcony, the ability to climb stairs is required.
Submit resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail Attn: Pastor, Mt Zion Lutheran Church, 12012 W North Ave, Wauwatosa, WI 53226.
Any questions, call the Mt Zion Pastor at 414.258.0456×403.