CHURCH OFFICE ADMINISTRATOR
ADORATION LUTHERAN CHURCH, GREENFIELD, WISCONSIN
Adoration Lutheran Church is a congregation of the Greater Milwaukee Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). Adoration is also a Reconciling in Christ (RIC) congregation, which means that we affirm God’s unconditional love for all people, no matter their sexuality or gender identity, racial or ethnic background, age, ability, marital status, socioeconomic or employment status, political affiliation, or religious or spiritual background.
As a deeply connected, welcoming and service-oriented worshipping community (approximately 100 active members) rooted in the Lutheran liturgical tradition, Adoration prides itself on being a congregation where people feel at home among “second family.” The congregation is known for an emphasis on service and partnership, including global accompaniment with the Mulala Parish in the Meru Diocese of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Tanzania and local engagement with feeding, homelessness, and housing programs.
The Office Administrator supports the ministry of Adoration Lutheran Church through the ministry of communication and administration. This position is a part-time hourly-wage position, with an estimated workload of 20 hours/week (may vary based on the seasons and rhythms of the church year). The Office Administrator works closely with the Pastor as a part of the church staff.
The Office Administrator is directly accountable to the Pastor, with secondary accountability to the Congregation Council (a team of elected lay members of the congregation). Work from others should normally be routed through and/or approved by the Pastor. As a member of the staff, the Office Administrator will meet regularly with the Pastor, and the Pastor and the Council will support the work of the Office Administrator through prayer, conversation, and responsive action.
Communications and Media
- The Office Administrator is responsible for the design, production, and distribution of all regular congregational publications and communications, including:
- weekly bulletins, and other materials for worship.
- weekly email blasts to the congregation.
- monthly newsletters to the congregation (covering from the 15th—15th)
- quarterly financial statements and stewardship documents
- annual congregational report.
- printed versions of all emailed communications to members (approx. 10 persons) without internet access, including the weekly email newsletter.
- other materials as assigned by the Pastor.
- The Office Administrator will help guide, lead and oversee the overall communications strategy of the congregation, including branding, website, social media presence, etc. Specifically, this entails:
- maintaining the weekly uploads, including sermon audio, video, and other pertinent files, as well as publication on social media, in the weekly email newsletter, and in print to those without access to the internet.
- providing regular updates on the church website and social media platforms for worship services, meetings, special events, etc.
- maintaining all bulletin boards in the church building, including the regular posting of council and ministry team minutes, as well as the outdoor informational kiosk.
Miscellaneous Administrative Tasks – In addition to the primary responsibilities described above, the Office Administrator also assists the Pastor in the overall administration of the congregation and:
- Maintains a comprehensive calendar of church activities and facility use and addresses issues arising from groups or persons using the building. Facility use policies approved by the Council and discretion from the Pastor will serve as a guide for this process.
- Coordinates and provides for materials in partnership with the Pastor and Congregational President ahead of Church Council meetings
- Receives and distributes mail and reads, responds to, and distributes email directed to the church office.
- Answers incoming phone calls to the church office and responds to or forwards voicemails in a timely manner.
- Manages and oversees the administrative needs of the office, including but not limited to: copier system, office supplies, phone and internet functionality, and software needs.
- Maintains all church records, including membership, baptism, and death records.
- Assists the Pastor and the Treasurer with the preparation of the annual budget.
- Maintains the congregation’s Zoom account and calendar for all meetings and other activities, including providing technical support to ministry team leaders and others who regularly host Zoom meetings.
- Proactively identifies opportunities for process and office management improvements, and designs and implements new systems, in coordination with the Pastor.
In addition, the Office Administrator shall:
- Maintain a regular work schedule as agreed upon with the Pastor.
- Many duties of this position may be performed remotely, but a minimum of two days per week on-site is required.
- Participate with other staff in the overall ministry of the congregation, demonstrating a desire to be collegial and share gifts and responsibilities.
- Not be a member of the congregation but may otherwise participate fully in the life of congregation, including worship, faith formation, outreach, and other activities, as desired.
- Complete a pre-employment background check and periodically during employment (every four years), in accordance with the Background Check Policy of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- Give at least 14 days written notice of intent to terminate employment.
This congregation shall:
- Provide a regular wage, paid every two weeks.
- Provide performance reviews and reflections held annually by the Pastor and Council Executive Team.
- Provide an on-site computer and technology in good working order for carrying out all regular and occasional duties and responsibilities in the office. Remote technology needs may be accommodated by the congregation upon consultation with the Pastor and Council.
- Support the work of the Office Administrator through prayer, conversation, and responsive action.
– Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
– 2+ years of relevant work experience
– Demonstrated proficiency with or willingness and ability to quickly learn all current technology platforms in use, including Microsoft Office and Google Drive products, social media platforms (including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube), Canva, Wix, Dropbox, Mailchimp, Zoom, and church database software
– Exceptional attention to detail, strong organizational and time management skills, and ability to prioritize
– Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
– Strong problem-solving skills and analytical abilities
– Flexibility and creativity, as well as strong interpersonal skills and ability to hold appropriate confidentiality
– A commitment to ELCA Lutheran social teachings, and to anti-oppression practices, especially around race/ethnicity, class, gender, sexuality, and ability
– Bonus: Familiarity with Lutheran liturgical practices and the patterns of the Christian church year
Adoration Lutheran Church is committed to the support of human rights and the struggle against injustice. We do not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, genetic information, or veteran status in our mission and ministry.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to:
Pastor Matt Schlake-Kruse at email@example.com