Church Office Administrator – Part-time, Flexible
Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, ELCA
Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, ELCA on Milwaukee’s Southside (near the Mitchell Airport) has an immediate opening for an energetic, detail-oriented, friendly communicator to fill the role of Office Administrator. Also, this person must possess great people skills, be able to work independently, handle confidential information and manage the church office.
The Office Administrator supports the ministry of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church through the ministry of communication and administration. This position is a part-time hourly-wage position, with an estimated workload of 12-15 hours per week (may vary based on the church year). The Office Administrator works closely with the Pastor as a part of the church staff.
The Office Administrator is directly accountable to the Pastor, with secondary accountability to the Congregational Council (a team of elected lay members of the congregation). Work from others should normally be routed through and/or approved by the Pastor. As a member of the staff, the Office Administrator will meet regularly with the Pastor, and the Pastor and the Council will support the work of the Office Administrator.
Communications and Media
- The Office Administrator is responsible for the design, production, and distribution of all regular congregational publications and communications, including:
- weekly bulletins, and other materials for worship.
- email blasts to the congregation.
- monthly newsletters to the congregation
- annual congregational report.
- other materials as assigned by the Pastor or Council Members.
- The Office Administrator will help guide, lead and oversee the overall communications strategy of the congregation, including website, social media presence, etc. Specifically, this entails:
- maintaining the regular uploads and publications on social media
- providing regular updates on the church website and social media platforms for worship services, meetings, special events, etc.
- maintaining all bulletin boards in the church building and outdoor sign.
Other Administrative Tasks
- Maintains a comprehensive calendar of church activities and facility use and addresses issues arising from groups or persons using the building. Facility use policies approved by the Council and discretion from the Pastor will serve as a guide for this process.
- Coordinates and provides for materials in partnership with the Pastor and Congregational President ahead of Church Council meetings
- Receives and distributes mail and reads, responds to, and distributes email directed to the church office.
- Answers incoming phone calls to the church office and responds to or forwards voicemails in a timely manner.
- Manages and oversees the administrative needs of the office, including but not limited to: copier system, office supplies, phone and internet functionality, and software needs.
- Maintains all church records, including membership, baptism, and death records.
- Maintains the congregation’s Zoom account and calendar for all meetings and other activities, including providing technical support to ministry team leaders and others who regularly host Zoom meetings.
- Proactively identifies opportunities for process and office management improvements, and designs and implements new systems, in coordination with the Pastor.
- Communicates/Coordinates with the Custodian and Day Care Staff
In addition, the Office Administrator shall:
- Maintain a regular work schedule as agreed upon with the Pastor.
- Participate with other staff in the overall ministry of the congregation, demonstrating a desire to be collegial and share gifts and responsibilities.
- Not be a member of the congregation but may otherwise participate fully in the life of congregation, including worship, faith formation, outreach, and other activities, as desired.
- Complete a pre-employment background check and periodically during employment (every four years), in accordance with the Background Check Policy of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- Give at least 14 days written notice of intent to terminate employment.
This congregation shall:
- Provide a regular wage, paid every two weeks.
- Provide performance reviews and reflections held annually by the Pastor and the Personnel Committee.
- Provide an on-site computer and technology in good working order for carrying out all regular and occasional duties and responsibilities in the office. Remote technology needs may be accommodated by the congregation upon consultation with the Pastor and Council.
- Support the work of the Office Administrator through prayer, conversation, and responsive action.
Wage range is $12 – $15 an hour.
– High School or equivalent – Preferred
– 1+ years of relevant work experience – Preferred
– Demonstrated proficiency with or willingness and ability to quickly learn all current technology platforms in use, including Microsoft Office social media platforms (Facebook), Zoom, and church database software
– Exceptional attention to detail, strong organizational and time management skills, and ability to prioritize
– Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
– Strong problem-solving skills and analytical abilities
– Flexibility and creativity, as well as strong interpersonal skills and ability to hold appropriate confidentiality
– A commitment to ELCA Lutheran social teachings, and to anti-oppression practices, especially around race/ethnicity, class, gender, sexuality, and ability
Nicole Hermann, Personnel Committee Chair