Minister of Music & Worship Arts – Job Description
Purpose of the Position: This position plans and delivers with the Ministry Staff, the music programs for Faith Lutheran Church.
Spiritual Profile of the Position: The Music Minister is a spiritual leader whose presence conveys and is aligned with the vision, mission, values and strategic direction of the congregation. The Music Minister conveys through music the pastoral and spiritual dimension of leadership at Faith Lutheran. The Music Minister is aware that music is often an entry point for newcomers to the congregation and seeks to be inclusive in music leadership, nurturing, encouraging and challenging the leadership capacity of all ensembles as music worship leaders. The Music Minister leads the congregation of Faith Lutheran to open their hearts and sing their faith and theology passionately, knowing that music is an effective tool for conveying spiritual truths and that it powerfully shapes the faith of those who sing and hear it. The Music Minister has a faith in Jesus Christ and a sense of calling to serve in this kind of ministry role. The Music Minister is a person deeply engaged in praying to God: for the congregation that the congregation would participate fully in worship and experience the wonder and power of God’s presence; for singers and musicians to grow spiritually and pray for one another’s concerns and thus build Christian fellowship; for wisdom and guidance for both the pastoral leadership and for themselves in their role as leaders of worship and teachers of the faith.
General Position Description: This is a 30-32 hr/week position. The Music Minister is responsible for all aspects of the music program at Faith Lutheran Church. This includes planning with the Pastor, special musical events and services, directing musical ensembles, and piano or organ at the Sunday morning services. The Music Minister will lead worship for Christmas Eve, Easter, and services during Holy Week.
Reports to: The Pastor
Paid Leave: The Music Minister will have four paid Sundays of leave. Additional Sundays off will result in the cost of the organist substitute coming out of the Music Minister’s salary.
- Oversee the entire music ministry of Faith Lutheran Church, providing leadership and resources to participants in the music program.
- Serve as the congregation’s principal musician in worship, (in person and online) including directing, singing, piano and/or organ.
- Participate in the planning of worship and other musical activities in the congregation, including use of a wide range of church music: classical, liturgical, contemporary, world music, and more.
- Attend weekly staff meetings and monthly meetings of the Worship & Music Team
- Maintain the music calendar for the year:
- Schedule regular and temporary music groups
- Schedule other special music as needed or available, including summer, Christmas, and Easter.
- Assist in planning and leading special music services during the program year as scheduled by the Pastor and the Worship & Music Team including Christmas Eve, Easter, and services during Holy Week.
- Hold regularly scheduled rehearsals and direct. If going to be absent, in charge of finding a substitute or rescheduling.
- With assistance from church musicians, teach and nurture the congregation to sing.
- Coordinate and schedule substitute musicians for vacations and absences.
- Supervise the maintenance of the music library and all church instruments.
- Determine and submit the annual budget requirements for the music program.
- Oversee the purchasing of all music and music supplies, limiting expenditures to the amount provided in the church budget (unless specifically directed otherwise by official action of the Church Council).
- Seek out and cultivate the musical gifts of people of all ages within the congregation and encourage their participation in the varied program offerings.
- Leading music for Faith’s Little Friends daycare on a weekly basis through the program year. Coordinate and lead the FLF Christmas Program.
- Communicate what’s happening with the music ministry at Faith by providing regular articles for the newsletter and posting on Faith’s Facebook Page.
- Provide resources for the Media Team to coordinate the liturgical seasons of the church.
- Maintain copyright regulations concerning music.
- Use multiple media outlets to communicate with and prepare musicians
- Other duties as necessary
Approximately $30,000 according to experience
The Minister of Music is responsible for all aspects of the music program at Faith Lutheran Church. This includes planning with the Pastor, serving as the congregation’s principal musician in worship (in person and online), directing musical ensembles (bell, choir – on COVID break), special music events, and weekly music at Faith’s Little Friends daycare. Includes Christmas Eve, Easter, and services during Holy Week. Piano, singing, organ, and bells skills preferred.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume and three references to Tracy Benedict at firstname.lastname@example.org.