Ascension Lutheran Church
Position Description – Director of Youth Ministries
Date: November 15, 2021
Position: Director of Youth Ministries
The Director of Youth Ministries at Ascension is an integral part of the staff team. This position will be responsible for the faith formation, discipleship, and tending of relationships of high school students, junior high students, and children in the life of the congregation. The Director of Youth Ministries will work in partnership with the pastoral staff to provide excellence in our youth ministry programs and activities that offer opportunities for growth of faith, a spirit of fellowship and an understanding the importance of giving glory to God.
The Director of Youth Ministries will be responsible to:
- Have a deep hunger and love in tending your own relationship with God in Jesus Christ.
- Engage students in the journey of faith formation towards a life of discipleship
- Provide program leadership for junior high and high school ministries of Ascension with energy, creativity, and substance.
- Provide various experiences through large group and small group activities that include but not limited to bible study, retreats, fundraisers, mission experiences, and service learning.
- Provide opportunities for youth to strengthen the bonds of relationship between the student and God; between students and their peers; between students and their parents; between students and small group leaders; between students and the Director of Youth Ministries.
- Be involved in the lives of students within the community and outside of the walls of Ascension.
- Actively communicate with students via text message/Instagram/Snapchat and other social media as develops.
- Invite members of the congregation to partner with you in building relationships with students, participating in the youth ministries, as small group leaders, as retreat leaders, and/or to serve as supporting resources.
- Cultivate a community of respect and love among our high school students where all are welcome, and all understand their value as children of God.
- Strive to engage parents and maintain a relationship of trust with parents who are primarily responsible for the faith development of their children.
- Participate, Administrate, and plan, in concert with pastors, ministry of our JOLT (confirmation) program.
- Provide additional activities each month for junior high students to engage outside of Thursday night confirmation program.
- Participate in monthly staff meetings.
- Provide weekly availability at church on a schedule to be established between the Director of Youth Ministries and managing Pastor.
- Understand that responsibilities involve periodic weekend and evening involvement with Youth as part of the position requirements.
- Be a voice for the needs of junior high and high school students and support the role and contribution of the youth ministry within the greater church community.
This job description does not imply that these are the only duties performed by this employee. The Director of Youth Ministries may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this position description. Duties and responsibilities will be reviewed annually.
Hours: Full Time
Salary: $40,000-42,000 DOE/$1000 Continuing Education/Full Benefits for Employee/ $75.00 Mo. Cell Phone Stipend/
3 Weeks Paid Vacation (Including Sundays) /1 Week Continuing Education
Supported by: Administrator for Joyful Worship and Spiritual Growth
Director of Administration
Reports to: Lead Pastor
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability preferred, as follows:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to communicate instructions, information, and directives clearly to team members
- Ability to handle requests, recurring tasks and special event projects efficiently and in a pro-active manner
- Administrative skills and detail oriented
- Strong logistics, planning and high level of organizational skills
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office
- Supervisory experience and skills in group leadership
Professional Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of three years of related experience in various areas of youth ministry
- Demonstrated ability to engage junior high and high school students in relationships towards a deepening maturity in lives of faith
- Reliable vehicle with driver’s license in good standing and evidence of vehicle insurance
- Excellent people skills
- Ability to encourage personal growth in others
- Passion for Christian faith development
- Be able to relate to individuals and groups with compassion
The physical demands of this position are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds and must be able to travel to various locations.
Please submit cover letter and resume to the attention of Rev. Christian Marien at:
Ascension Lutheran Church 1415 Dopp Street Waukesha, WI 53188 or to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions may be directed to the church office at 262-547-8518.