The Financial Administrator will create and implement a strategy to ensure timely, effective, and informative communication and handling of accounting needs between the Greater Milwaukee Synod office, synod council, ministry partners and other target audiences within and beyond the Greater Milwaukee Synod.
The Greater Milwaukee Synod (GMS) is a geographic grouping of congregations, extending from Sheboygan down to the Illinois border and from Lake Michigan to the western edge of Waukesha County. We are one of 65 synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). This synod is made up of 119 congregations, 3 Synod Authorized Worshiping Communities, and 59,143 baptized members in southeastern Wisconsin led by Bishop Paul D. Erickson and a 17-member synod council.
This position is a salaried, full-time position plus benefits to be accomplished in the Greater Milwaukee Synod office during our regular working hours (Monday – Friday 8 am to 4:30 pm). Occasional nights and weekends required.
- Maintain all financial records of the synod, Outreach for Hope, Lutheran Campus Ministry, and several smaller accounts QuickBooks in an accurate and timely manner.
- Manage bank deposits on a regular basis.
- Review invoices and bills for accuracy, authorization, and payment.
- Coordinate payroll in a timely manner with third party vendor and answer questions as needed.
- Manage and submit monthly remittances as necessary including special gifts to designated ministries and general mission support.
- Complete all monthly activity including benevolence summaries, month end balances toward congregational yearly commitments, fund activities, financial analysis and statements.
- Communicate frequently with the Synod Council Treasurer and Finance Committee and with the full Synod Assembly annually.
- Coordinate the annual audit with outside accountants.
Shared Responsibilities with other Synod Staff
- Works to build strong relationships among leaders and congregations of this synod and to foster a positive regard for the role of and partnership with the larger church in the life of each ministry
- Serves as a member of the synod staff team by attending regular staff meetings and retreats.
- Participates in events for rostered and lay leaders; and supports leaders, programs, and efforts that further the mission of all expressions of the church.
- Assists in the planning and carrying out of arrangements for events that encourage collegiality among leaders and congregations in this synod, including ministeriums, conference assemblies, synod assembly, theological conferences, congregational leader events, and others as identified.
- Serves as a resource person for congregations, institutions, and agencies in this synod, when requested.
- Communicates and serves collegially with all on the synod staff in order to build up and accomplish the collective and connective ministry of the Greater Milwaukee Synod.
This person will be a faithful, self-starting, detail-oriented person who brings an optimistic focus to the mission of the Greater Milwaukee Synod. In addition:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting recommended.
- Proficient in QuickBooks, Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of Fund Accounting.
- Experience in a non-profit setting and/or religious organization is helpful.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and analyze communication problems and develop appropriate solutions.
- Ability to learn new skills as needed.
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously and independently.
- Strong ability to think and act strategically.
- Relational maturity that demonstrates interpersonal and teamwork skills including active listening and proactive communication.
- Professional demeanor, discretion, good work habits and judgment.
- Commitment to furthering Christ’s mission through this church.
Send resume and cover letter to:
Mary Romskog, Executive Assistant for Administration and Candidacy
Greater Milwaukee Synod
PO Box 341695
Milwaukee, WI 53224