The Greater Milwaukee Synod (GMS) and the Diocese of Meru (DME) in Tanzania are global partners in Christ. There are many aspects of our partnership including the Meru Coffee Project, support for Nkoaranga Hospital, water projects for increasing the availability of clean water, and a Professional Education Fund to assist pastors and teachers in obtaining bachelor and master degrees. There are also 23 congregations in the GMS who have a parish partner in the DME, many of whom have similar activities on a more village level.
As partners in Christ we have pledged to “pray for each other at every opportunity, especially as a part of our regularly scheduled worship services”. In addition to this, we have also set a special Sunday annually on which we very intentionally lift up each other’s prayer requests. This occurs on the last Sunday of September, this year falling on September 30th.
The DME has sent us their specific prayer requests to be lifted up on this year’s Common Day of Prayer:
EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH IN TANZANIA DIOCESE OF MERU PRAYER REQUESTS FROM DME ON PARTNERSHIP DAY 30THSEPTEMBER 2018
- Prayer for the continuation of our partnership and commitment to walk together as brothers and sisters embracing the values of accompaniment.
- Prayer for the congregations of the Diocese of Meru and the entire ELCT as we continue with revival and renewal of the Church.
- Prayer for the people of Tanzania and especially the young people as they deal with economic hardships.
- Prayer for wisdom in leadership for all who serve in our government as they deal with economic and social transformation.
- Prayer for continued peace among our citizens and among citizens of the world.
- Prayer for solutions to the challenges of climate change that are continuously affecting our people.
- Prayer for solutions to food insecurity in this country.
- Prayer for farmers, Workers, and business people in this country so that they do their work diligently and honestly.
- Prayer for good relationship and cooperation between State and the Church in our countries.
- Prayer for whatever we have not named, but our Lord knows that we need.
- Prayer of Thanksgiving and Praise for all God’s good gifts.