Special Virtual Meeting of the Synod Assembly
9 am, January 23, 2021
9 am, January 16, 2021
If you are NOT a voting member but would like to observe the Special Assembly on January 23, please click the button below to access the livestream:
On December 3, 2020, the Rev. Matthew Schlake-Kruse, Greater Milwaukee Synod Secretary, sent an official notice that Bishop Paul D. Erickson has called a Special Virtual Meeting of the Synod Assembly to be held at 9 a.m. on Saturday, January 23rd, 2021. The official notice is available here. This meeting will be conducted on the Zoom webinar platform, which will allow all participants to see and hear the proceedings and to speak to the assembly when recognized. Those without computer or smartphone access can call into the meeting on a telephone.
The purposes of this Special Meeting (expected to last 60-90 minutes) are as follows:
- To recognize and receive Lakeside Lutheran Church as a congregation of the Greater Milwaukee Synod;
- To amend selected bylaws (read proposed changes here) related to the structure of the Synod’s clusters and conferences, as presented and approved by the Synod Council in November 2019; and
- To receive brief updates on the status of the Synod’s ministries during the pandemic.
As noted in Chapter 7 of the Synod Constitution, all rostered ministers (active, retired, on leave, and disabled) are voting members of the assembly. Lay voting members representing congregations at the last regular meeting of the Synod Assembly in May 2019 will continue as members for this Special Assembly meeting. If 2019 Assembly Lay voting members are unable to serve as voting members, the Congregation Council may elect new members for this Special Assembly.
We are offering a pre-assembly forum on January 16 from 9:00-10:00 am to
- allow for questions and discussion of the items on the agenda
- introduce the voting software
- share how our online meeting will work
ATTENDANCE IS OF GREAT IMPORTANCE,
as we need to maintain both a quorum and a balance of rostered status and gender
in order to be in compliance with the representational principles of the ELCA.
The following files will be helpful as you prepare for the assembly
- Video from Bishop Erickson
- Email sent to voting members on 1/21
- Tips to help with Zoom and voting
- Preparing for the Special Assembly
- Overview of Constitutional Changes
- Special Assembly Agenda
- Special Assembly Rules
- Ten Clusters
- Seven Conferences
- Six Conferences
- Practical Pointers on Parliamentary Procedure
For those that were voting members in 2019
- All voting members of the 2019 Synod Assembly received an email with their registered name and an Entry ID#. You will need this information to complete the registration process. If you did not receive this email, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can re-send it to you.
- If you cannot attend, please go to the registration form, fill in your name and entry ID and choose “No, I cannot attend”.
- Begin your registration by choosing “I am a registered voting member from the 2019 Synod Assembly”.
For new voting members
- Begin your registration by choosing “I am a new voting member for the 2021 Special Assembly.
- Follow the steps to share the information we need to complete your registration.
- If you have any problems with the form, please let us know by contacting us at 414.671.1212 or email@example.com
Information for all Voting Members
- If you receive an error message, fix the red highlighted area(s) on the form.
- Provide your own personal email and phone number so we can reach you if necessary. Please do not use a church email or phone number.
- Tell us what equipment you’ll be using to join the meeting and if you’ll be sharing equipment so that we can prepare for this and make sure everyone has the ability to vote independently.
- You will see a confirmation message on your screen and receive a confirmation email after you register. If you don’t receive or see a confirmation you ARE NOT registered. You will need to fix any errors and submit the form again.
- If you have a confirmation message but do not receive an email, please check your junk folder or spam folder for the email from us.
- The Zoom meeting link will be emailed to voting members in January.
- Take advantage of the Zoom tutorial information that can be emailed to you if you’re new to Zoom
- This registration is for the Special Synod Assembly only. Registration for the regularly scheduled Synod Assembly taking place on April 30 and May 1, 2021 will open later. Your congregation will select voting members for this assembly that may or may not be different from those participating in the special assembly.