We Form Communities:
Gathering as People of the Promise
April 30 – May 1, 2021
Registration for Synod Assembly 2021 is now open. We’ve worked hard to keep our costs as low as possible this year and have set a fee of $80 per person for early bird registration (through April 14th) and $95 per person for registrations received April 15th and later. These fees cover the technology needed for voting, sound, cameras and help us provide easily accessible documents during the meeting. Please register early to take advantage of early bird prices.
Registration cancellations are non-refundable after April 15 and the deadline for registration is noon on Monday, April 26. Everyone is welcome to view the assembly on our Facebook Live stream, but only voting members registered by noon on Monday, April 26 will be able to speak from the floor and vote.
We will be using a platform for Synod Assembly that integrates the Zoom meeting and Lumi voting in one window. This system works best on a desktop or laptop computer. It is possible to join with a tablet or smart phone, however; the voting and zoom windows will be separate tabs and not integrated into one window.
We strongly encourage the use of a laptop or desktop computer for the best experience.
You will be asked how you or your voting members will attend the assembly on the registration form. If you are registering your congregational voting members, please gather the required information before you begin the registration. These items include:
- The equipment the voting member will use – laptop or desktop computer, tablet, smartphone, landline, or if they will watch, safely distanced on a large screen and have a separate voting device.
- The phone number that will be used if the person is joining by smartphone or landline We need this information to identify the person as a voting member during the meeting and enable their ability to vote. If we don’t have correct information, the person may not be able to vote during the meeting.
- Each individual’s personal email address. We need to communicate directly with voting members leading up to the assembly.
If you have questions or need to make corrections to a registration, please contact us at 414.671.1212.
Join our Virtual Choir for Synod Assembly
We deeply miss singing together. Music in worship is an important thread that weaves us together as community. To help us sing together this spring we’ve partnered with SongAlong to create a way for all of us to sing our assembly hymn together. Anyone can join in with a few simple steps. We encourage you to share this with your congregations and music groups.
- The deadline for submitting your recording is April 10.
- Visit: https://songalong.live/?id=TU582OAD – you may create an account or continue as a guest.
- Your video and voice will be put together with the other videos.
- The hymn will be included in the online worship service on Friday, April 30 at 7pm.
- A computer with webcam (not your phone or tablet)
- Use Google Chrome internet browser (Firefox also works)
- A plain backdrop for recording
- WiFi connection
- A hard copy of the music available in SATB or melody only.
- Everyone should sing all verses.
- Visit: https://songalong.live/?id=TU582OAD
- Create an account or continue as a guest
- Click the box that says “I agree to “terms and conditions”
- Set up your computer in a quiet are with a plain backdrop
Get Ready to Practice
- Pick your part or sing the melody only. Everyone will sing all verses.
- IMPORTANT: Do NOT click the section leader box
- Click NEXT
- Click “ready to practice”
- To use the music on the screen, use the scroll bar on the right side of the music. We encourage you to print the music if possible.
- You’ll see Michael Shaner, St. Luke’s, Waukesha playing the piano accompaniment on the top right screen. (Thank you, Michael!)
- You’ll see yourself on the lower right screen.
- Smile! During the intro, try to look at the camera and smile instead of down at your music.
- Click the arrow to practice.
- You’ll hear Michael playing the accompaniment AND you’ll hear a voice leader to sing along with.
- When you are ready, push the red record button. There will be a 3, 2, 1 countdown before recording begins.
- At the end of the song, you can push submit or redo.
- Once you are happy with your recording, push submit.
- Wait for confirmation that your recording has been submitted (a checkmark shows up)
- The syncing of the accompaniment isn’t perfect with this program. When in doubt, follow the piano.
- You can also just sing the melody if you have trouble finding your part.
Friday, April 30
6:00 pm Assembly Orientation
7:00 pm Opening Worship
7:45 pm Detailed Announcements for Voting Members
9:00 pm Floor Nominations Close
Saturday, May 1
8:30 am Plenary I
Report of Credentials
Adoption of Agenda
Approval of Rules/Resolutions/Elections Procedure
Report of the Nominating Committee
ELCA Representative Report
Lutheran Campus Ministry Report
Reference and Counsel Report
10:15 am Break
10:30 am Resume Plenary 1
Equipping the Saints Report
11:30 am Lunch
1:00 pm Plenary 2
Report of Credentials
Opioid and Substance Abuse Task Force Report
Report of the First Ballot
Outreach for Hope Report
Vice President’s Report
Action on the Budget
3:50 pm Sending and Installation of Elected Persons
The number of lay voting members your congregation elects depends on the number of baptized members (not voting or confirmed members) in the congregation. Lay voting members should be as evenly divided between female and male as possible.
- All congregations may elect at least two lay voting members of the Synod Assembly.
- Congregations having 750 to 1,249 baptized members may elect a third lay voting member. Thereafter an additional lay voting member may be added for each additional 500 baptized members of the congregation (e.g. at 1,250 members, 1,750 members, etc.).
- All congregations may add one voting member to the number allotted if that additional member is a youth or young adult (aged 30 or under when elected).
Use the chart below to see your congregation’s number of voting members. (All rostered ministers are voting members.) Baptized membership numbers with a * are from the 2019 congregational reports. We will update this as 2020 reports are received.
|Name||City||Baptized Membership||2021 Voting Allowance||2021 Under 31 Allowance|
|All Peoples Gathering||Milwaukee||121||2||1|
|All Saints||Oak Creek||695||2||1|
|Bay Shore||Whitefish Bay||350||2||1|
|Breaking The Chains||Milwaukee||8||2||1|
|Christ Our Savior||Sussex||1192||3||1|
|Christ The King||Delafield||445||2||1|
|Christ The King||Port Washington||147*||2||1|
|Christ The Servant||Waukesha||412||2||1|
|Christ the Victor||New Berlin||57||2||1|
|Dr Martin Luther||Oconomowoc||482||2||1|
|Gloria Dei||Menomonee Falls||93||2||1|
|Good Shepherd Trinity||Milwaukee||90||2||1|
|Holy Cross||Menomonee Falls||2239||5||1|
|Holy Trinity||West Allis||285||2||1|
|House Of Prayer||Franklin||389||2||1|
|Journey In Faith||Mt Pleasant||121||2||1|
|King Of Glory||Greenfield||84||2||1|
|Lord Of Life||Kenosha||769||3||1|
|Luther Memorial||West Allis||71||2||1|
|Lutheran Church of the Great Spirit||Milwaukee||81*||2||1|
|Mount Hope||West Allis||665||2||1|
|Our Savior||West Bend||527||2||1|
|Prince of Peace||Milwaukee||305||2||1|
|Spirit Of Peace||Milwaukee||51||2||1|
|St John||West Milwaukee||171||2||1|
|St Luke||Sheboygan Falls||234||2||1|
|St Paul||Random Lake||65||2||1|
|St Stephen The Martyr||Greendale||644||2||1|
|The Village Church||Milwaukee||105||2||1|
|Wayfarer's Faith Collective||Port Washington||0||2||1|
|Whitnall Park||Hales Corners||541||2||1|
The positions listed below are open for nominations and will be elected at the 2021 Synod Assembly. You can also download a pdf of the position openings, a brief job description for each position, and the new conference structure.
Please note: Nominations deadline is March 15, 2021
- Youth – age 18 and under at the time of election
- Young adult – age 30 and under at the time of election
- Churchwide Assembly will be held in Columbus, Ohio from August 8-12, 2022
- People interested in conference nominations should contact the acting dean of the conference
Central Conference Nominees
- Synod Council, Lay Male – 4-year term (September 1, 2021 – August 31, 2025)
- Churchwide Assembly 2022, Lay Male
North Conference Nominees
- Synod Council, Lay Female – 4-year term (September 1, 2021 – August 31, 2025)
- Churchwide Assembly 2022, Lay Male, Person of Color or person whose primary language is other than English
South Central Conference Nominees
- Synod Council, Rostered Minister – 2-year term (September 1, 2021 – August 31, 2023)
- Churchwide Assembly 2022, Rostered Minister
South Conference Nominees
- Synod Council, Rostered Minister – 4-year term (September 1, 2021 – August 31, 2025)
- Churchwide Assembly 2022, Lay Female
West Central Conference Nominees
- Synod Council, Lay Male – 2-year term (September 1, 2021 – August 31, 2023)
- Churchwide Assembly 2022, Lay Female, Youth or Young Adult
West Conference Nominees
- Synod Council, Lay Female – 2-year term (September 1, 2021 – August 31, 2023)
- Churchwide Assembly 2022, Rostered Minister
At Large Nominees
Synod Council Positions
- Officers – Four-year term
- Vice President, Lay (September 1, 2021 – August 31, 2025)
- Treasurer (September 1, 2021 – August 31, 2025)
- Four-year term
- Lay Male (September 1, 2021 – August 31, 2025)
- Lay Female (September 1, 2021 – August 31, 2025)
- Rostered Minister (September 1, 2021 – August 31, 2025)
- Representational Positions
- Young Adult (September 1, 2021 – August 31, 2025)
- Lay Youth (September 1, 2021 – August 31, 2023)
Churchwide Assembly, August 8-12, 2022 – Columbus, Ohio
- Rostered Minister – 2 openings
- Lay Female – 1 opening
- Lay Male – 2 openings
- Lay Male, Youth or Young Adult
- Lay Female, Person of Color or person whose primary language is other than English
- Rostered Minister – 2 openings (September 1, 2021 – August 31, 2027)
- Lay Female – 1 opening (September 1, 2021 – August 31, 2027)
- Lay Male – 1 opening (September 1, 2021 – August 31, 2027)
Special Synod Assembly 2021 – January 23, 2021
Synod Assembly 2020 – Canceled due to COVID-19
Synod Assembly 2019 – For Everyone Born, A Place at the Table, May 31 – June 1, 2019
Synod Assembly 2016 – Claimed to Be, June 2-4, 2016
Synod Assembly 2015 – Hope for a Broken World, May 29-30, 2015
Synod Assembly 2014 – Together at God’s Table, May 29-31, 2014
Synod Assembly 2013 – Why? May 30-June 1, 2013
Synod Assembly 2012 – You are Standing on Holy Ground, May 31-June 2, 2012
Synod Assembly 2011 – Going Public, June 24-26, 2011