Just to be clear, listserve is now a google group. However, so many people still use the term “listserve” in regards to our email list that we will use that term here along with the term google groups.
Q: How do I join the group / leave the group / make changes to my membership preferences?
A: There are a few ways to do this.
- If you have a google account, you can just log in with your google username (which can be any email address, and doesn’t have to be a google/gmail account) and your google account password. Then you can visit The GMSynod google group page and click the “join group” button
- If you don’t have a google account but still want the control of making changes to your account yourself, you can sign up for a free google account and then link this group membership to that account. Google accounts don’t require you to get another email address, you can just use your current email address if you would like. Then you can visit The GMSynod google group page and click the “join group” button
- OR If you don’t have a google account, and don’t want to open up a google account…
- you can join by sending a blank email to email@example.com
- you can leave the group by sending a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- however if you are already a member of the group and want to make changes to your email settings (like how often you receive messages) you will have to contact the synod office and we will have to make those changes for you
Q: Great. I’ve joined the group, now how do I send emails to the new listserve / google group?
A: Easy! Email your message to “GMSynod@googlegroups.com“
Also note that if you have a filter on your email that sorts your listserve/google group messages into a specific folder, you will need to add a new filter rule. All of the new listserve/google group emails will start with “[GMSynod Listserve]” in the subject line, so that should help you create an email rule to put all of those emails into one folder if you would like.