God’s purpose for the Greater Milwaukee Synod Anti-Racism Team is to dismantle racism by creating and deepening a culture of resistance to racism through organizing and training among the ministries of the synod.
Bible and confessional items for anti-racism work
Some Biblical Passages for Individual or Group Study
- Genesis 1:26-31 — Humans are created in God’s image
- Ephesians 4:4-7 — One body, Spirit, Lord, faith, baptism, God, Father of all
- Galatians 3:27-28 — No longer Jew, Greek, slave, free, male, female but one in Christ
- Revelation 7:9-17 — Vision of people of every tribe and nation before God’s throne
- Ephesians 2:11-22 — Christ has broken down the walls of hostility and given us a new identity
- Colossians 3:9-11 — Put off old, put on new, Christ in all
- Micah 6:8-9 — Do justice, love kindness and walk humbly with your God
- Amos 5:21-24 — Let justice roll down like waters
- Luke 4:16-20 — Jesus’ mission statement which we can reflect
- Matthew 15:21-39 — Jesus’ compassion for the outsiders and those in need
- John 4 — Jesus crosses barriers in His actions toward a Samaritan woman and a royal official
(To use as a group study, ask people to pair up and discuss what God is saying to them from these passages and also their potential response and action. Then share the results with the larger group.)
“Our Synod Anti-Racism Work And Our Lutheran Confessions”
A separate one-page paper linking these important faith documents with our work
Possible future options for you
- Continue to develop an anti-racist lifestyle within your institutions and systems through awareness-building from reading and analysis, and seeking and being with similar allies
- Confess involvement with, and change, behavior regarding white privilege or internalized oppression
- Pray publicly and privately for God’s Spirit to work in you and others to develop an anti-racist lifestyle and anti-racist institutions
- Become part of an anti-racist group within your congregation, other institution, or Greater Milwaukee Synod.
Opportunities within the Greater Milwaukee Synod (GMS) Anti-racism Team (A-RTeam)
- Connect with people who are engaged in continued anti-racism analysis, growth, and action.
- Serve within the team in a specific role or roles as a Management Group member, team communicator, events planner, hospitality or food server, 90-Minute Introductory Model (Sometimes 3 hours) presenter, observer, or scheduler, coordinator of a team strategy, or financial contributor.
Other potential growth opportunities for you or others
- Attend a Reflection and Reunion Event.
- Attend and invite others to a Movie or Book Discussion Night sponsored by the GMS Anti-Racism Team
- Attend and invite others to a Lutheran Human Relation Association Workshop
- Attend a Caucus Event
- Encourage others to attend an Anti-racism Workshop at a Synod Event